Learn about our Church

Learn about our Church
Learn about our Church

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Here's one for the books

So earlier this evening I am driving down the road to meet the hub-a-dub for some dinner and I realize Veronica is not sounding right and I think I know what's wrong. Pull over, yep fear is confirmed, I have a totally flat tire. Call my dad, "Sweetie you're going to have to change the tire. You can do this." Great.



Happen to be in a parking lot of a playground/field; alone. Get out. Now, I'm a woman who has never changed a tire before (faithful V and old Bessy before her never left me in that predicament), I also have a cranky child in the back seat, oh and yeah, I'm 3 months prego. I can do this. Still on the phone with my father. Can't figure out how to get the stinkin' spare out of the trunk...wouldn't want it to come loose now would we. Finally get it all out with a little pep talk from my dad. Meanwhile 6 cars have passed by to drop off their kid for soccer practice; none stop.


The spare is half my weight; awesome. Get everything set up. Have to stand on and then jump on the wrench to get the lug nuts loosened. My son is loosing it. Have 5 members of my family try and talk to him over the phone to calm him down. Finally get the tire off the car and land on the ground with the tire over me. Nice. 4 more cars have passed.


Drag the spare over and finally get the dang thing into the wheel well and onto the bolts...I need another pep talk. Carson is wailing. Jump on the wrench again to now tighten the lug nuts. A car stops. Guy says, "hey looks like I'm a little late but do you need help?" " uh I think I'm ok now, could've used some help a half hour ago but thanks anyway." "Hey sorry, but looks good, well done." Gee thanks

Heave and ho with the now mangled tire and get everything back into the trunk. Land into the driver's seat and try to soothe my child. Clean myself up with baby wipes and we're off. Loved the 40 min. detour.

Can I have my merit badge now?




5 comments:

kellie and craig said...

Wow you go superwoman. I've never changed a tire either but I do know how to do it. It'd be better if a guy was there to do it though! At least you know how in case there is another time:)

dawnanne said...

ha! oh malerie! i wish you had called me! i would have come right over! i have no idea what i would have done once i got there (as i have only had to change a flat once) but i would have given you moral support (and helped you jump on the wrench.) good for you though, now you know "you can do hard things!" (something i am always telling amy!)

Emily said...

Holy cow, woman! I'm impressed. I've never changed a tire, much less while pregnant and with a toddler in the car. (Heck, I've never even been pregnant.) Go you!

Oh, and congrats on the babe!

Esplins said...

Oh Malie what a day! You're quite the woman. I probably would've sat in the car playing with the crying child and waited for Steve to come take care of it... and I'm not even pregnant. Good job though! I'm proud of you. Maybe next time I get a flat I'll call you for instructions. :) Hope you're feeling better. Call me soon so we can chat.

Aubrey said...

Good for you! And congratulations! When are you coming to Utah, I really would love to hang out again. I am super impressed though. I don't think I could have done that.