Learn about our Church

Learn about our Church
Learn about our Church

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

What If This Were a Last

I was Busy. "The List" was steadily increasing.
Carson was halfway into his nap and Chelsea was ready to go down. Then...time
Malerie time. Time to eat. Time to put on my make-up. Time to do laundry. Time to work on the budget. Time to blog. Time to catch up on my favorite show. Time to clean the house. Time to knit. Time to read. Time to work on my calling.


"Alright Chelsea, let's put you dowm for your..." Stop. What is that? Crying. Carson?? NO!!!
Way too early for him to be up. And usually he isn't crying.
Put Chelsea in her bed.
Go into his room. Pick my little boy up. He stops crying. Sit down to ask why he's crying but he puts his head on my shoulder. Ok, I can hold him for a sec.

He nestles in. Relaxes. Becomes calm.
He's falling asleep!
Alright, hurry and get into the "sleep mode" so that I can put you back down.
Chelsea has been faintly crying. She could use my help to fall alsleep.
Try to move...whimpers from Carson.
Ok, I'll wait.
Chels getting louder.
Stuck. Do I get up and hope he goes back down (unlikely at this point..he needs longer)... Do I wait and let Chelsea put herself to sleep.... I really need them both to sleep so I can see to that list.... I only have so much time....
Shhh. She's stopped. Good.
Almost get up. Wait.


Realize I'm holding my baby boy. My sweet darling Carson.
Realize he's falling asleep in my arms. His face is peace
Realize I love this moment.
Realize he is getting older.
Realize this may be one of the last times I get to hold my sleeping son.
Stay.

7 comments:

Chantal Marie said...

Ok.. Almost cried. Totally relate to this all too well.

Esplins said...

Love this! How touching. What a precious post!

tracy said...

You summed up parenting so well! It's good to realize that those wonderful moments...especially when they're sleeping in your arms...are fleeting so you appreciate them more. You're such a good mom. I love how you blog about your family. You are an amazing woman that I've been privilaged to see grow up. Love you!

Jenalee said...

That was so precious, it made me tear up.

'anny M said...

Oh, so the only thing better than that, perhaps, is seeing your daughter grow up into being the woman that you want her to be. I love you loving Carson and Chelsea.

Malerie said...

this makes me tear up too...every time i read it...and I reread it a lot. that's why i had to document it. this actually happened months ago...but i have thought through it several times since and realized it was because i needed to remember it.

Aubrey said...

So great to be reminded why we are really moms. Not the list but the beautiful babies. You are great and miss you lots!